The Book
Message Board
The Wild Side
Book Updates
Picture of the week
Misc Links
Contact Us

Documents to Bring with You
You'll need to produce the proper paperwork in order to rent a plane. Fixed base operators in Hawaii are known for being thorough in their inspections of your qualifications. In fact, some operators even make photocopies of your paperwork. Listed below are those documents you'll need to bring with you.

  • Pilot Certificate.
  • Medical Certificate— Ensure that your medical will not have expired.
  • Logbooks— You should bring your pilot logbooks with you to Hawaii, especially if you plan to rent a twin-engine plane or a complex single. Insurance companies list specific pilot experience minimums for many of the planes that they insure, and your logbooks may be needed to show that you meet the requirements.
  • Proof of recent Biennial Flight Review (BFR)— You'll need to show that within the past 24 months you have satisfied the requirements of a flight review, as spelled out in FAR Part 61. A logbook with the proper BFR endorsement made by a flight instructor is acceptable. A separate document with the same endorsement would also be acceptable. If the date of issue of your pilot certificate is less than two years old, the certificate itself satisfies the requirement.


Back to Planning Page 1